Sunday, March 15, 2009

Flashback Friday - the Ides of March edition

I know that technically the Ides of March go back to 44 B.C. when Julius Caesar was assassinated.  Et tu, Brute?  But for me, they go back to when I was an overachieving Sophomore in high school.  My friend Jo Anne was in an advanced English class with me.  I thought it would be hilarious to call her on the Ides of March and in the creepiest voice I could muster declare, "Beware the Ides of March!"  

Now, I use the term "hilarious" very loosely.  It's kind of like the time I was playing Monopoly with the Masons, and Melissa held a "sword" over VerrDon's head and said, "I hold the sword of damocles over your head!"  I didn't know whether to be more horrified that she thought that was funny, or because I understood the joke.

Regardless, it freaked Jo out.

So every Ides of March, I make sure to freak her out in some odd fashion, or to just call her and say hello.  My favorite was the year we were both at BYU.  Rusty and I took a small stuffed pig and butchered it.  Then we stuck it on a stake and put it in her yard in the middle of the night.  (Lord of the Flies anyone?)

Sorry Rusty looks a little pedophiliac here.  

I know you're all dying to know what I did this year.  But you'll just have to wait.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Ginger said...

LARENE BE WARNED!!!!!!!

Rustin said...

Oh, LaRene is safe. Safe that is, until April 1st.

Misty said...

you'll be pleased to know that one year at BYU while she was doing her master's I wrote a note that said "Beware the Ides of March" and stuck it on her office door...in memory of you! =)

Stefanie said...

Hahahaha! I want to know what you mailed her.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...